Thursday, December 25, 2008

Poker at sea








Hope you all enjoyed our guest blogger Helene. It’s now 2pm on Thurs and we’re enjoying a wonderful balmy day at the pool listening to the live reggae band mon. Jamaica no problem. After 2 days in ports it’s great to have a day to just relax. Amazingly this is our first day at the pool! Just occurred to me that one of the best things of life on board is not worrying about Benj straying too far. .Where can he possibly go.
I have to fill you in on my Texas Hold Em poker exploits on board. As you know I’m pretty new to the game although been studying hard to learn it quickly. Well they have this computerised Hold Em table in the casino which deals the cards and lets 10 people play against one another at once. Best employee they have as they take 10% off each hand which is way too much but hey what can you do. I love it. Tried a bit of Black Jack but found it boring and didn’t even bother with roulette my old fav given the extra ‘00’ and also no skill involved. Wondering how I’m going to lose enough money in Vegas to ‘pay’ for our free Bellagio accom . Interesting how we change with the times. I used to love roulette.
The first night I watched the poker to get a feel for how this auto deal table works. Second night I played a little, then on Tues night I dived in. There are about 20-25 serious players on board. Would you believe about 70% yids from US, Israel and Oz (me). Virtual minyan some nights. We’ve all got to know each other quite well and the social banter round the table is great fun. If you don’t show up they want to know where you were. One guy is from Cape Town, and like me left at 16 in ’79 and lives in San Diego (Greg Laser?).
On Wed I didn’t do too well however I had a BIG night last night and am now well in front plus RESPECTED by my colleagues who initially probably took me for a fish they could feed on. It’s a lot of fun and I look forward to it each night…the only problem is we only get going at 11 and I’ve returned to my cabin the last 2 nights at 3am….last night to my surprise Helene was up watching telly.
On Saturday evening they have a tournament which costs $150 to enter. There are about 50 entrants and the winner gets a free Royal Caribbean cruise for 2 and plays in the Royal Poker Tour final onboard for $100k. So we’ll see. First you have to finish top 2 in your table and then the top 10 play off for first prize.
Got to go the kids want me in the pools and then we’re going to watch a skating production on the ice rink…just when I was starting to really relax.
For those of you who haven’t cruised you got to try it. But you may need a holiday afterwards.
5:30pm
The ice skating was superb. Really professional. Tonite we’re going to see another production, comedy I think.
Tomorrow we dock in Cozumel Mexico. We want to go on a tour called Xcaret but involves a 45 minute ferry trip and then a bus so may be too much travelling.
Just tried to connect but no signal so may get this posted late. I’m off to have a steam and sauna before dinner. Funny I’m not hungry at all. Adios amigos.


No comments:

Post a Comment