Monday, January 12, 2009

San Francisco

Early Monday evening

We had a nice quick flight from Vegas to San Francisco. For the third time in a row we were subjected targeted for special attention when going through security to the gates i.e. full pat down, shoes off, belt off, explosive samples, etc. The worst part about this apart from it being slow and tedious is that we have to be sure we get all pieces of our carry ons afterwards. Sometimes this stuff, which includes jackets, shoes, bags, computer, kids bags etc., can stretch over 10 baskets. I have no idea why they’ve marked us for special attention but the clues they’ve given us are that we aren’t on return tickets i.e. we’re going from city to city without returning. Also if we ever change a flight this is also something they hone in on. Oh well, good to see there security is tight, just hope they get the right people.

We were met at the airport by the driver we had prebooked and he drove us to the the Hyatt on Union Square. What a great location. We checked in, put our luggage in the room and without even opening anything we headed out to get a taste of the city. I had forgotten how great this place is. It oozes character and we’re in the perfect location to take it all in. The cable cars with their clanging bells and interesting drivers are wonderful, as is the incredible architecture of the buildings. I love the fire escapes out the front of each building going from level to level. The bay windows which jut out over the street on every other corner add to the character of the place.

For me being here is very nostalgic as it’s where the whole MYOB thing had it’s origins in 1991. Since then I had always wanted to be here with family, riding the cable cars together. I just missed this year’s MacWorld Expo which finished on Friday. Would have been nice to see it however I did manage to get a spy in there to report back to me and pick up a few show specials (thanks Yor!). Unlike Vegas the place has hardly changed at all which is something I really love about it. The contrast with Vegas is stark, this place is steeped in history and I really love the little nooks and crannies and smaller blocks, plus of course the incredibly steep streets and sharp bends which the cable cars have to navigate (who remembers the Tv series ‘The Streets of San Francisco’ with Karl Malden? Takes me back to when we arrived in Oz in the 70s).

The first thing we came across on Union Square was an outdoor ice skating rink set up for the coldest winter months (more on the weather later). It’s wonderful and the kids resolved to skate there on Monday night which we are about to go out and do…will continue when I get back…

1 comment:

  1. Benjy - enjoy the Ghiradelli Sundaes.
    Benj - Adam has chosen Dallas Cowboys as his team. His best player is Owens (81). He bought one of their shirts. Have you chosen a team yet?
    Cheers yoramd

    ReplyDelete